Quotes about FAMILY - The world likes to see things in black and white

 

Quotes about FAMILY - The world likes to see things in black and white 

“It's a commonly expressed and rather nice, romantic notion that we are all "sisters" and "brothers."

Let's be real. Fact is, we might be better served to accept that we are all siblings.

Siblings fight, pull each other's hair, steal stuff, and accuse each other indiscriminately.

But siblings also know the undeniable fact that they are the same blood, share the same origins, and are family.

Even when they hate each other.

And that tends to put all things in perspective.”

― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

 

“She wants you to be a god," I told him.

"I know." His face twisted with embarrassment, and in spite of itself my heart lightened. It was such a boyish response. And so human. Parents, everywhere.”

― Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles

 

“The world likes to see things in black and white, in moral and immoral. But there is gray in between. And just because a person is capable of wickedness, doesen't mean they will act upon it.”

― T.J. Klune, The House in the Cerulean Sea

 

“People talk about the happy quiet that can exist between two loves, but this, too, was great; sitting between his sister and his brother, saying nothing, eating. Before the world existed, before it was populated, and before there were wars and jobs and colleges and movies and clothes and opinions and foreign travel -- before all of these things there had been only one person, Zora, and only one place: a tent in the living room made from chairs and bed-sheets. After a few years, Levi arrived; space was made for him; it was as if he had always been. Looking at them both now, Jerome found himself in their finger joints and neat conch ears, in their long legs and wild curls. He heard himself in their partial lisps caused by puffy tongues vibrating against slightly noticeable buckteeth. He did not consider if or how or why he loved them. They were just love: they were the first evidence he ever had of love, and they would be the last confirmation of love when everything else fell away.”

― Zadie Smith, On Beauty

 

“Hades allowed himself the faintest smile, but there was nothing cruel in his eyes.

‘I can entertain the possibility that you acted for multiple reasons. My point is this: you and I rose to the aid of Olympus because you convinced me to let go of my anger. I would encourage you to do likewise. My children are so rarely happy. I … I would like to see you be an exception.’

Nico stared at his father. He didn’t know what to do with that statement. He could accept many unreal things – hordes of ghosts, magical labyrinths, travel through shadows, chapels made of bones. But tender words from the Lord of the Underworld?

No. That made no sense.”

― Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus

 

“Not only had my brother disappeared, but--and bear with me here--a part of my very being had gone with him. Stories about us could, from them on, be told from only one perspective. Memories could be told but not shared.”

― John Corey Whaley, Where Things Come Back

 

“Fuck it... That's really the attitude that keeps a family together, it's not "we love each other", it's just "fuck it, man.”

― Louis C.K.

 

“War is catastrophe. It breaks families in irretrievable pieces. But those who are gone are not necessarily lost.”

― Ruta Sepetys, Salt to the Sea

 

“Children who are not encouraged to do, to try, to explore, to master, and to risk failure, often feel helpless and inadequate. Over-controlled by anxious, fearful parents, these children often become anxious and fearful themselves. This makes it difficult for them to mature. Many never outgrow the need for ongoing parental guidance and control. As a result, their parents continue to invade, manipulate, and frequently dominate their lives.”

― Susan Forward, Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life

 

“All families are psychotic. Everybody has basically the same family - it's just reconfigured slightly different from one to the next.”

― Douglas Coupland, All Families are Psychotic

 

“When I walk, I walk with you. Where I go, you're with me always.”

― Alice Hoffman, The Story Sisters

 

“I'm inspired by the people I meet in my travels--hearing their stories, seeing the hardships they overcome, their fundamental optimism and decency. I'm inspired by the love people have for their children. And I'm inspired by my own children, how full they make my heart. They make me want to work to make the world a little bit better. And they make me want to be a better man.”

― Barack Obama

 

“Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.”

― Leigh Hunt

 

“He’s my brother, my blood. He annoys the hell out of me most of the time, but when it comes right down to it I want to see him graduate from college and have little annoying mini-Alexes and mini-Brittanys running around in the future”

― Simone Elkeles, Rules of Attraction

 

“After that, nothing was the same. The very notion of my having a family turned vague, hard to credit, even weirdly jokey.”

― Michael Wyndham Thomas, The Erkeley Shadows: A novel

 

“True best friends never fail on understanding, forgiving, and being there for one another no matter what situation that they might be in or having with one another because of the fact of that no matter if it’s two males or females love should always be there as if brothers or sisters if their what we call best friends.”

― Jonathan Anthony Burkett, Friends 2 Lovers: The Unthinkable

 

“No amount of me trying to explain myself was doing any good. I didn't even know what was going on inside of me, so how could I have explained it to them?”

― Sierra D. Waters, Debbie.

 

“Maybe our parents' lives are imprinted within us, maybe the only fate there is is the temptation of reliving their mistakes. Maybe, try as we might, we will never be able to outrun the blood that runs through our veins. Or. Or maybe we are free the moment we are born. Maybe everything we've even done is by our own hands.”

― Taylor Jenkins Reid, Malibu Rising

 

“Women without children are also the best of mothers, often, with the patience, interest, and saving grace that the constant relationship with children cannot always sustain. I come to crave our talk and our daughters gain precious aunts. Women who are not mothering their own children have the clarity and focus to see deeply into the character of children webbed by family. A child is fortuante who feels witnessed as a peron,outside relationships with parents by another adult.”

― Louise Erdrich, The Blue Jay's Dance: A Birth Year

 

“Never judge someone by their relatives.”

― Charles Martin, Chasing Fireflies