Quotes about FAMILY - As we age, we become our Parents

 

Quotes about FAMILY - As we age, we become our Parents 

“As we age, we become our parents; live long enough and we see faces repeat in time.”

― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane

 

“The more you talk about it, rehash it, rethink it, cross analyze it, debate it, respond to it, get paranoid about it, compete with it, complain about it, immortalize it, cry over it, kick it, defame it, stalk it, gossip about it, pray over it, put it down or dissect its motives it continues to rot in your brain. It is dead. It is over. It is gone. It is done. It is time to bury it because it is smelling up your life and no one wants to be near your rotted corpse of memories and decaying attitude. Be the funeral director of your life and bury that thing!”

― Shannon L. Alder

 

“I’m nobody’s sidekick,” Annabeth growled. “And, Percy, his accent sounds familiar because he sounds like his mother. We killed her in New Jersey.”

Percy frowned. “I’m pretty sure that accent isn’t New Jersey. Who’s his—? Oh.”

It all fell into place. Aunty Em’s Garden Gnome Emporium—the lair of Medusa. She’d talked with that same accent, at least until Percy had cut off her head.

“Medusa is your mom?” he asked. “Dude, that sucks for you.”

― Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena

 

“Percy says be talked to a Nereid in Charleston Harbor!”

“Good for him!” Leo yelled back.

“The Nereid said we should seek help from Chiron’s brothers.”

“What does that mean? The Party Ponies?” Leo had never met Chiron’s crazy centaur relatives, but he’d heard rumors of Nerf sword-fights, root beer-chugging contests, and Super Soakers filled with pressurized whipped cream.

“Not sure,” Annabeth said. “But I’ve got coordinates. Can you input latitude and longitude in this thing?”

“I can input star charts and order you a smoothie, if you want. Of course I can do latitude and longitude!”

― Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena

 

“No one's family is normal. Normalcy is a lie invented by advertising agencies to make the rest of us feel inferior.”

― Claire LaZebnik, Epic Fail

 

“They'll say you are bad

or perhaps you are mad

or at least you

should stay undercover.

Your mind must be bare

if you would dare

to think you can love

more than one lover.”

― David Rovics

 

“I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.”

― Abraham Lincoln

 

“A father has to be a provider, a teacher, a role model, but most importantly, a distant authority figure who can never be pleased. Otherwise, how will children ever understand the concept of God?”

― Stephen Colbert, I Am America

 

“The knowledge that she would never be loved in return acted upon her ideas as a tide acts upon cliffs.”

― Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey

 

“There’s nothing that makes you more insane than family. Or more happy. Or more exasperated. Or more . . . secure.”

― Jim Butcher, Vignette

 

“Heaven is comfort, but it's still not living.”

― Alice Sebold, The Lovely Bones

 

“My dad had limitations. That's what my good-hearted mom always told us. He had limitations, but he meant no harm. It was kind of her to say, but he did do harm.”

― Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl

 

“I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.”

― Stephen King, Christine

 

“To you who are parents, I say, show love to your children. You know you love them, but make certain they know it as well. They are so precious. Let them know. Call upon our Heavenly Father for help as you care for their needs each day and as you deal with the challenges which inevitably come with parenthood. You need more than your own wisdom in rearing them.”

― Thomas S. Monson

 

“Your heart’s strength is measured by how hard it holds on. Your self worth and faith is measured by finally letting go. However, your peace is measured by how long you don’t look back.”

― Shannon L. Alder

 

“When I pretended to be precocious, people started the rumor that I was precocious. When I acted like an idler, rumor had it I was an idler. When I pretended I couldn't write a novel, people said I couldn't write. When I acted like a liar, they called me a liar. When I acted like a rich man, they started the rumor I was rich. When I feigned indifference, they classed me as the indifferent type. But when I inadvertently groaned because I was really in pain, they started the rumor that I was faking suffering. The world is out of joint.”

― Osamu Dazai, The Setting Sun

 

“My mother used to tell me that when push comes to shove, you always know who to turn to. That being a family isn't a social construct but an instinct.”

― Jodi Picoult, Keeping Faith

 

“I once spoke to someone who had survived the genocide in Rwanda, and she said to me that there was now nobody left on the face of the earth, either friend or relative, who knew who she was. No one who remembered her girlhood and her early mischief and family lore; no sibling or boon companion who could tease her about that first romance; no lover or pal with whom to reminisce. All her birthdays, exam results, illnesses, friendships, kinships—gone. She went on living, but with a tabula rasa as her diary and calendar and notebook. I think of this every time I hear of the callow ambition to 'make a new start' or to be 'born again': Do those who talk this way truly wish for the slate to be wiped? Genocide means not just mass killing, to the level of extermination, but mass obliteration to the verge of extinction. You wish to have one more reflection on what it is to have been made the object of a 'clean' sweep? Try Vladimir Nabokov's microcosmic miniature story 'Signs and Symbols,' which is about angst and misery in general but also succeeds in placing it in what might be termed a starkly individual perspective. The album of the distraught family contains a faded study of Aunt Rosa, a fussy, angular, wild-eyed old lady, who had lived in a tremulous world of bad news, bankruptcies, train accidents, cancerous growths—until the Germans put her to death, together with all the people she had worried about.”

― Christopher Hitchens, Hitch 22: A Memoir

 

“It is no accident, Ma, that the comma resembles a fetus— that curve of continuation. We were all once inside our mothers, saying with our entire curved and silenced selves, more, more, more. I want to insist that are being alive is beautiful enough to be worthy of replication. And so what? So what if all I ever made of my life was more of it?”

― Ocean Vuong, On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous

 

“But to mourn, that's different. To mourn is to be eaten alive with homesickness for the person.”

― Olive Ann Burns, Cold Sassy Tree