Books Quotes - Beware you be not swallowed up in books!

 

Books Quotes - Beware you be not swallowed up in books! 

“I hate to lend a book I love…it never seems quite the same when it comes back to me…”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Windy Poplars

 

“She read paperbacks too, one after the next like she was chain-smoking—romance, science fiction, old pulp fantasy. All she wanted to do was sit, unbothered in a circle of lamplight, and live someone else’s life.”

― Leigh Bardugo, Hell Bent

 

“You could write a book about things that you can't find on-line.”

― Maggie Stiefvater, Linger

 

“This is the most important thing about me--I'm a card-carrying reader. All I really want to do is sit and read or lie down and read or eat and read or shit and read. I'm a trained reader. I want a job where I get paid for reading books. And I don't have to make reports on what I read or to apply what I read.”

― Maxine Hong Kingston, Tripmaster Monkey: His Fake Book

 

“Beware you be not swallowed up in books! An ounce of love is worth a pound of knowledge.”

― John Wesley, Letters of John Wesley

 

“If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.”

― Roald Dahl

 

“He ate and drank the precious words,

His spirit grew robust;

He knew no more that he was poor,

Nor that his frame was dust.

He danced along the dingy days,

And this bequest of wings

Was but a book. What liberty

A loosened spirit brings!”

― Emily Dickinson

 

“I’d volunteer to go to prison, as long as there are books. Because with books I am free.”

― Mohammad Hatta

 

“Any book which inspires us to lead a better life is a good book.”

― Fulton Sheen, The Quotable Fulton Sheen: A Topical Compilation of the Wit, Wisdom, and Satire of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

 

“What is wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it towards the condition of the man who wrote.”

― E. M. Forster, Two Cheers for Democracy

 

“What is reading but silent conversation.”

― Walter Savage Landor, Imaginary Conversations

 

“Before he had lost his sight, the maester had loved books as much as Samwell Tarly did. He understood the way that you could sometimes fall right into them, as if each page was a hole into another world.”

― George R.R. Martin, A Feast for Crows

 

“Allowing yourself to stop reading a book - at page 25, 50, or even, less frequently, a few chapters from the end - is a rite of passage in a reader's life, the literary equivalent of a bar mitzvah or a communion, the moment at which you look at yourself and announce: Today I am an adult. I can make my own decisions.”

― Sara Nelson, So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading

 

“I can think of few better ways to introduce a child to books than to let her stack them, upend them, rearrange them, and get her fingerprints all over them.”

― Anne Fadiman, Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader

 

“Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end.”

― George R.R. Martin

 

“. . . finally, I couldn't imagine how I could live without books, and I stopped dreaming about marrying that Chinese prince. . . .”

― Fyodor Dostoevsky, White Nights

 

“We lusty bibliophiles know that reading, unlike just about anything else, is both good for you and loads of fun.”

― Kevin Smokler, Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times: A Collection of All Original Essays from Today's (and Tomorrow's) Young Authors on the State of the Art -- ... Hustle -- in the Age of Information Overload

 

“The walls of books around him, dense with the past, formed a kind of insulation against the present world and its disasters.”

― Ross McDonald

 

“One little Indian left all alone, he went out and hanged himself and then there were none.”

― Agatha Christie, And Then There Were None

 

“You've read half the books in this house? This whole house?"

"Well, approximately half." Sticky said. "To be more accurate, I suppose I've read more like" - his eyes went up as he calculated - "three sevenths? Yes, three sevenths."

"Only three sevenths?" said Kate, pretending to look disappointed. "And here I was prepared to be impressed.”

― Trenton Lee Stewart, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma

 

“I'm not really sure what makes a book a 'classic' to begin with, but I think it has to be at least fifty years old and some person or animal has to die at the end.”

― Jeff Kinney

 

“read thousands of books and I will power myself with knowledge. Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism.”

― Malala Yousafzai

 

“Dear and most respected bookcase! I welcome your existence, which has for over one hundred years been devoted to the radiant ideals of goodness and justice.”

― Anton Chekhov

 

“Books are for nothing but to inspire”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson